Mumbai: Shiv Sena (UBT) MP Sanjay Raut on Monday launched a sharp attack on the Bharatiya Janata Party over the escalating Tipu Sultan controversy in Maharashtra, asserting that the matter should now be closed since the portrait in question has already been removed.
The row began after a portrait of Tipu Sultan was displayed in the office of Malegaon Deputy Mayor Shan-e-Hind Nihal Ahmed, triggering protests from BJP and Shiv Sena leaders. The issue intensified further when Maharashtra Congress chief Harshwardhan Sapkal made remarks drawing parallels between Tipu Sultan and Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, leading to widespread political backlash.
Reacting strongly, Raut said, “The portrait has been removed. What is the purpose of stretching this controversy now?” He accused the BJP of deliberately fuelling religious tensions whenever it faces a lack of substantive public issues. “When there is nothing related to public welfare or national interest to discuss, such topics are brought forward to create Hindu-Muslim divisions,” he alleged.
Raut further questioned the political priorities in the state, stating, “Farmers are dying by suicide, unemployment is rising, labourers are struggling, and women’s safety remains a concern. Why are these issues not dominating debates?” He insisted that historical comparisons should not overshadow urgent socio-economic challenges facing Maharashtra.
Referring to past political positions, Raut also claimed that leaders who are now criticising Tipu Sultan had earlier taken different stands. “If you want to know historical facts, listen to speeches delivered in constitutional forums in the past. Selective outrage will not help society,” he said.







