HomeNation90% Demolition Complete, 19 Arrested: Bandra Encroachment Drive Sparks Massive Clash in...

90% Demolition Complete, 19 Arrested: Bandra Encroachment Drive Sparks Massive Clash in Mumbai

Mumbai Police have arrested 19 individuals in connection with the unrest and stone-pelting that erupted during the ongoing anti-encroachment operation in Bandra East, where authorities are carrying out a major demolition drive on railway land near Garib Nagar.

Officials said the crackdown followed violent clashes earlier this week after tensions escalated during the removal of alleged illegal structures close to Bandra Terminus. Several police personnel were injured during the confrontation, prompting authorities to launch a large-scale investigation.

Multiple Accused in Custody

Police sources said most of the accused arrested so far were produced before a local court and remanded to police custody for further questioning. Investigators are also examining video footage and eyewitness accounts to identify others allegedly involved in the violence.

One juvenile detained in the case has been shifted to a children’s remand facility, while additional suspects are likely to be questioned in the coming days.

Authorities have reportedly registered cases against more than 100 people linked to the disturbances.

Demolition Drive Continues Under Tight Security

Despite the violence, the demolition operation resumed with an increased security presence across the area.

Western Railway, Mumbai Police, railway security agencies and civic teams continued the anti-encroachment exercise for the fourth consecutive day, deploying a large workforce and multiple machines to clear the site.

Officials stated that extensive planning and precautionary arrangements were made after Wednesday’s clashes to ensure that the operation proceeds without further disruption.

Railway Says Majority of Work Completed

According to Western Railway officials, nearly 90 per cent of the demolition process has already been completed.

The operation is currently focused on removing temporary upper structures, extensions and non-permanent portions constructed above rehabilitation-eligible hutments.

Authorities said extra care is being taken to avoid damage to legally protected ground-floor units while carrying out the clearance work.

Massive Deployment at Site

Officials described the exercise as one of the largest anti-encroachment drives conducted by Western Railway in recent years.

More than a thousand personnel, along with heavy demolition equipment, were deployed at the site to maintain security and accelerate the clearance process.

Officials also confirmed that debris removal operations are continuing round the clock to prevent obstruction and speed up post-demolition work.

Fencing Work Planned After Clearance

Railway authorities said the operation is expected to continue until May 23. Once demolition activities conclude, fencing and site protection work will begin to stop fresh encroachments from emerging on railway property.

The drive was launched as part of a broader railway infrastructure and land management initiative in the Bandra Terminus area.

Meanwhile, security agencies remain on alert as investigations into the violence continue.

Subscribe to TheNews21

Stay Ahead with Independent Journalism

Investigations, political analysis and major national and global stories delivered directly to your inbox.

Must Read

spot_img
spot_img