Bengal CM Visits Violence Site After Stone-Pelting During Demolition Drive
Suvendu Adhikari on Monday issued a sharp warning against violence and attacks on security forces after clashes broke out during an anti-encroachment demolition drive in Kolkata’s Tiljala area.
A day after stones were allegedly hurled at police and CRPF personnel during the operation, the Chief Minister said his government would adopt a “zero tolerance” approach against vandalism, attacks on officers and attempts to disturb law and order.
Speaking during his visit to the violence-hit area, Adhikari said, “Such incidents no longer occur in Kashmir. In Bengal, people had become accustomed to a certain laxity—they felt that the government would not take any action against them. The police will now act strictly in accordance with the law.”
“Gone Are Those Days”: Adhikari Sends Tough Message
The Chief Minister strongly defended the police action and warned that strict measures would continue against those involved in violent protests.
“Gone are the days when police personnel would get injured while the Police Minister merely sat in an air-conditioned room, watching the things unfold—forget those days now,” Adhikari said.
“From this point forward, hooliganism will be eradicated from Bengal,” he added.
According to officials, at least six police personnel and two jawans from the Central Reserve Police Force were injured during the clashes. Authorities have so far arrested around 40 people in connection with the violence.
Violence Broke Out During Bulldozer Action
The unrest erupted on Sunday during a demolition operation targeting allegedly illegal constructions in Tiljala, a locality near Park Circus in Kolkata.
Officials said the drive was launched after a recent fire incident at a factory in the area claimed two lives, prompting authorities to act against structures believed to be unsafe or unauthorised.
Local residents reportedly protested against the demolition campaign and blocked roads to stop authorities from carrying out the operation. The protest later turned violent, with incidents of stone-pelting and damage to vehicles parked near the site.
Police and security personnel eventually brought the situation under control, though a heavy deployment of forces continues in the area to prevent further unrest.
CM Seeks Continued Deployment Of Central Forces
Adhikari also revealed that he has requested Amit Shah to allow 40 companies of paramilitary forces to continue their deployment in West Bengal until alternative arrangements are made.
He appealed to citizens to cooperate with authorities in maintaining peace and warned against attempts to inflame tensions using religious slogans.
“Engaging in stone-pelting or vitiating the atmosphere by misusing religious slogans — none of this will be tolerated in Bengal under any circumstances,” the Chief Minister said.
The incident has now triggered a major political debate in West Bengal over law and order, policing and the handling of anti-encroachment drives in sensitive localities.


